Current:Home > ScamsFulton County says cyberattack did not impact Trump election interference case -Capitatum
Fulton County says cyberattack did not impact Trump election interference case
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:48:14
Officials said the court and other systems in Georgia's most populous county were hacked over the weekend, interrupting routine operations, but the district attorney's office said the racketeering case against former President Donald Trump was unaffected.
Fulton County, which includes most of Atlanta, was experiencing a "widespread system outage" from a "cybersecurity incident," county commission Chair Robb Pitts said Monday in a video posted on social media. Notably, he said, the outage is affecting the county's phone, court and tax systems.
But the office of Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said the racketeering case against Trump and others was not affected.
"All material related to the election case is kept in a separate, highly secure system that was not hacked and is designed to make any unauthorized access extremely difficult if not impossible," Willis' office said in a statement.
But the prosecutor's office said its operations were being "drastically" affected by the electronic court filing system outage. Visitors to the website that houses Fulton County's online court records were greeted by a message saying it is "temporarily unavailable."
Additionally, the statement said, the Atlanta Police Department was not sending emails to or opening emails from the district attorney's office out of concern for its own systems. That was hindering prosecutors' work because about 85% of their cases come from Atlanta police.
County spokesperson Jessica Corbitt said Tuesday there was no estimate for when the outage would be repaired. Most county offices remained open, though certain transactions were limited due to the outage, according to the county's website.
In an update Tuesday evening, the county said that phone lines were still down for most Fulton County's municipal offices, and its justice system was unable to access online records, relying instead on "backup processes," including paper records, to schedule court hearings and process detainees.
The Fulton County Police Department was also unable to issue police reports as of Tuesday, and Fulton County's election offices were temporarily closed.
The county said in its release there was no evidence that the hackers had obtained "personally identifiable information."
The exact cause of the breach remains under investigation.
A Fulton County grand jury in August indicted Trump and 18 others. They're accused of participating in a wide-ranging scheme to illegally try to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia. Four people have already pleaded guilty after reaching plea deals with prosecutors. Trump and the others who remain have pleaded not guilty.
Pitts said the outage was reported to law enforcement and was under investigation. The FBI office in Atlanta confirmed that it was aware of the breach and had been in contact with the county's information technology department but declined to discuss specifics.
- In:
- Security Hacker
- Donald Trump
- Data Breach
- Cyberattack
- Fulton County
veryGood! (5)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Will Taylor Swift attend the Chiefs game Thursday against the Ravens? What we know
- Megan Thee Stallion addresses beef with Nicki Minaj: 'Don't know what the problem is'
- A missing 13-year-old wound up in adult jail after lying about her name and age, a prosecutor says
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Worst team in MLB history? 120-loss record inevitable for Chicago White Sox
- Verizon buying Frontier in $20B deal to strengthen its fiber network
- Nearly 2,000 drug manufacturing plants are overdue for FDA inspections after COVID delays, AP finds
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Travis, Jason Kelce talk three-peat, LeBron, racehorses on 'New Heights' podcast
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Steward CEO says he won’t comply with Senate subpoena on hospital closings
- Bethenny Frankel's Update on Daughter Bryn's Milestone Will Make You Feel Old
- Maryland will participate in the IRS’s online tax filing program
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Patrick Surtain II, Broncos agree to four-year, $96 million extension
- Olympian Rebecca Cheptegei Dead at 33 After Being Set on Fire in Gasoline Attack
- LL COOL J Reveals the Reason Behind His 10-Year Music Hiatus—And Why The Force Is Worth the Wait
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
How Taylor Swift Scored With Her Style Every Time She Attended Boyfriend Travis Kelce’s Games
1000-Lb. Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Picks Up Sister Amy’s Kids After Her Arrest
GoFundMe account created to benefit widow, unborn child of Matthew Gaudreau
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
2nd suspect arrested in theft of sword and bullhorn from Rick Pitino’s office
Michael Keaton Is Ditching His Stage Name for His Real Name After Almost 50 Years
George R.R. Martin slams 'House of the Dragon' changes from book, spoils Season 3